ACHIEVEMENTS what CBCRA do in the community
BECOME A MEMBER and raise the level of community spirit
SEND US your suggestions and comments
READ MORE about City of Cape Town’s activities & policies
FAULT REPORT system introduced by the City Council
VISIT Waste Control for more details about your recycling

Thursday, 30 August 2018

Maiden’s Cove Fireworks Unresolved

The issue regarding the use of fireworks in the Maiden’s Cove area in Camps Bay remains unresolved in the City of Cape Town’s Sub-council 16.
The matter was initially brought forward by the Bungalow Owners’ Association when they submitted a request to have Maiden’s Cove removed as a site for setting off fireworks due to the fire risk to their wooden bungalows during the drought.
In November last year, Ward 54 councillor, Shayne Ramsay, submitted a motion to have the area removed from the approved list for the discharge of fireworks. The motion was seconded by the chairperson of Sub-council 16, Matthew Kempthorne.
Ms Ramsay said apart from the fire risk, and the risk of injury to children and particularly animals, is the urgency of reducing the number of areas where the activity was authorised ( “No more fireworks at Maiden’s Cove, Atlantic Sun, November 30 2017).
The matter was supported by the City’s executive director of safety and security, Richard Bosman, who stated that 2017 was so disastrous that they closed the venue due to the wind and they were concerned about possible fires.
In January this year, the City’s chief fire officer, Ian Schnetler, noted the motion and stated that should the site be removed, an alternate site would need to be provided because they feared that chaos would erupt as the public would discharge fireworks from their homes and in uncontrolled environments.
The sub-council manager, Marius Coetsee, advised that he and Mr Kempthorne would meet with officials from fire and safety and compile a report which would contain all current locations and would seek alternative proposals.
This report was submitted to Sub-council 16 on April 20 and it was recommended that it needed to be tabled at all sub-council meetings. Almost 10 months later, the matter is still unresolved. Ms Ramsay said the issue was not simple, but they were expecting to receive a report from other sub-councils imminently.
By Sinazo Mkoko

Plan to lease land for cell mast

The City has proposed to lease a portion of its own land off Victoria road in Camps Bay, near the NSRI building, to Vodacom for a cell mast.
This was discussed at the Sub-council 16 meeting on Tuesday August 14.
The council unanimously recommended that the lease of a portion of the be approved under several conditions.
Among the conditions was that the City approved a rental of more than R10 000 a month excluding VAT. The lease would be in place for 10 years, increasing by 8% annually.
The City recommended that the property be used for telecommunications infrastructure only.
This site was identified by Vodacom with a plan to improve network coverage and accommodate a large number of tourists in the area. The council said this was one of the ways to encourage the public to start using smart technology as a way of communication.
The council heard that the cell mast would blend in Camps Bay and it would have no visual impact.
The chairman of the Camps Bay and Clifton Ratepayers’ and Residents’ Association, Chris Willemse, said he didn’t believe that putting the cell mast there was the best decision.
Mr Williemse said they would need inspectors to make sure that the residents were safe.
By Sinazo Mkoko

Tuesday, 21 August 2018

CCT Online Zoning Viewer

Online Zoning Viewer

Welcome to the City of Cape Town’s zoning viewer.

Access our zoning viewer

The City of Cape Town Development Management Scheme (DMS) is a schedule to the Municipal Planning By-law, 2015, which you can find in our document section. Also read the Municipal Planning Amendment By-law, 2016.
To access the zoning viewer, please read the copyright and disclaimer below then click on the PBDM Zoning Viewer link. The data is used as basis for – or as an insertion – in a plan, acknowledgement must be made of the source of such data as well as the copyright of the Council.


You can view your property's current zoning using either your erf number or street address. Please consult the Cape Town Municipal Planning By-law and The City of Cape Town's Development Management Scheme.
The City of Cape Town makes no warranties as to the correctness of the information supplied. Persons relying on this information do so entirely at their own risk. The City of Cape Town will not be liable for any claims whatsoever, whether for damages or otherwise, which may arise as a result of inaccuracies in the information supplied.


Zoning is to be verified by means of an Official Zoning Certificate requested from a relevant district office. All cadastral are to be verified at the Office of the Surveyor General.
Proposed converted zones shown may be subject to Overlay Zone provisions, which allows a mechanism where additional rights or restrictions may apply, in addition to the base zone provisions.
Please be aware that no part of this data map may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage or retrieval systems, without written permission from the Development Management Departmentof the City of Cape Town.

Document downloads

CCT online services

CCT: all our online services

The City of Cape Town provides a number of online services through our portals and applications.

Online services

Please view our available online services below.


The e-Services application does not support mobile phone or tablet access – please use your laptop or desktop instead. 

Our applications are best viewed using the latest versions of the following web browsers, Internet Explorer 11, Chrome 72+, Firefox 65+ or Safari 12+.
City of Cape Town online portals
Civic Services
Our e-Services portal gives you quick access to a range of online services, specifically:
  • Careers
  • Conveyancing
  • E-billing
  • Informal trader bay applications
  • Supplier self-service
  • Land use and building plan applications (DAMS)
  • Motor vehicle license renewals
  • Municipal accounts
Before you can use e-Services, you will have to register for an account.
Service requests(C3)Report and track a fault, a concern or a service request online.
Business and trade
ProcurementThe procurement portal is for browsing and submitting RFQs.
TendersThe tender portal is for browsing and submitting tenders.
Job searchBrowse City of Cape Town's vacancies online. Please note thatapplications can only be made through e-Services if applying online.
Film permits and locations
Film permitsApply for a film permit and book your public location online.
Housing and property
General Valuations:GV2018Check the municipal value of your property online with our online GV Roll.
Housing DatabaseRegister on the City's housing database and check the status of your application online.
Information, research and learning
MARSMake a health research request online through our MARS research request application.
OPACRenew your library books online.
Open Data PortalAccess the Open Data Portal to find the latest and popular data sets as well as featured sites.
Access to informationSubmit a formal request for City records.
ECAMPAssess the market performance and long-term growth potential for business precincts throughout the metro.
Online Zoning ViewerAccess the Online Zoning Viewer for all land use application needs.
Planning ViewerView planning districts, erfs, streets and suburbs in Cape Town using the Planning Viewer.
City Map ViewerFind properties, streets, suburbs, subcouncils and wards in Cape Town using our City Map Viewer.
Public participation, feedback and submissions
Issues Open for Public CommentMake your voice heard around issues open for public comment.
Land Use ApplicationsComment on a land use application in your area.
Surveys and SubmissionsSubmit ideas on the Open Innovation Platform, and complete one of our surveys.
Website FeedbackIf you experience technical issues on the website, let us know. 
Lost Pets OnlineSearch for your lost pet using the CityPetFinder tool.
Pet RegistrationRegister your pet using our online pet registration tool.
Waste and recycling
IWEXAccess the IWEX portal to list and search for exchangeable waste, as well as for arranging for deliveries and collection.
Waste Recyclers PortalFind recycling and waste-wise services in your area.

CCT Development Management Scheme

All properties within the geographic area of the City are part of our integrated zoning scheme and are subject to land use provisions in the Development Management Scheme, which forms part of the Municipal Planning By-law.

Consult the overarching by-law

Division ll of the Municipal Planning By-law describes Cape Town’s zoning categories, base zonings and the development rules that apply to each zone, including primary and consent uses.
All properties within the geographic area of the city are part of our integrated zoning scheme and are subject to land use provisions in the Development Management Scheme.
Within the zoning categories are land uses that are permitted ‘as of right’; in these cases, no additional approval is required from the City. Consent, occasional and special uses are permitted only with the City’s approval.


You should always consult with your local Development Management district office to verify your properties zoning, what uses are permitted as of right and those you would need to apply for to enhance its rights.

Single Residential zonings

Single residential zonings are designed to provide locations for predominantly single-family dwelling houses in low-to-medium density neighbourhoods, with a safe and pleasant living environment. There are controlled opportunities for home employment, additional dwellings and low intensity mixed-use development on a single residential property.

General Residential zonings

General residential zonings are designed to provide a healthy, safe and pleasant environment for urban living at higher densities. It promotes efficient urban development, manages the pressure of urban growth and reduces urban sprawl.
Different zonings and subzonings allow for different levels of development intensity, particularly in relation to height and floor space. Within these zonings there are controlled opportunities for home employment and low-intensity mixed-use development.

Community zonings

Community zonings are intended for social uses directed at community needs, such as educational, religious, welfare or health services. Community buildings are important social and urban design focal points, and prominent architectural forms should be encouraged. There are two community zonings, with CO1 serving predominantly local community needs, and CO2, which caters for a wider community and potentially a greater intensity of development.

Local Business zonings

Intermediate Business Zoning creates a suitable interface between business districts and adjacent residential areas, where low-impact offices and associated uses are permitted, but where higher impact retail uses are controlled. Local Business Zoning 2 is appropriate for local neighbourhood shops, and allows for a range of compatible land uses.

General Business and Mixed-use zonings

General business zonings are designed to promote economic development in business districts and development corridors, and include a wide range of land uses such as business, residential and community uses, although industrial development is restricted.
By contrast, mixed-use zonings are suitable for completely mixed areas in terms of land use, including industrial, business and residential development. Such mixed-use zonings need to be applied with care to ensure that conflict between residential and industrial development is minimised.

Industrial zonings

Industrial zonings are designed to accommodate manufacturing and related processes ranging from general industrial uses which may have some impact on surrounding areas, to hazardous or noxious uses which have a potentially high impact and must be carefully managed.
Industrial development has particular requirements for road and waste infrastructure, and industrial-zoned land should generally be reserved for industrial purposes to optimise this infrastructure and mitigate potential impacts. In the General Industrial Zoning two different subzonings accommodate variations of built form, and opportunities are provided for consent uses associated with industrial areas, such as factory shops. A specific zoning is provided for noxious and risk industries.

Utility, Transport and National Port zonings

Government facilities, whether national, provincial or municipal, should be zoned according to their use, not ownership. For example, municipal offices should be zoned an appropriate business zoning. However, certain government activities cannot be classified into other zonings, and can be included in the Utility zoning. This zoning also accommodates uses and infrastructure required for utility services that are not necessarily owned by an organ of state.
Transport zonings are designed to facilitate efficient operation of the various transport systems. There is a close relationship between transportation and development, and appropriate development can help to promote public transport. Provision is made for controlled mixed-use development in certain transportation zones, provided the operation of the transport system is not compromised.
At times transport systems run along defined corridors but at different height levels, and there are opportunities for air rights and underground rights, whereby appropriate development can be constructed at a different level to the transport system without compromising the operation thereof.
The National Port Zoning has been included to provide for the provisions contained in the National Ports Act (Act 12 of 2005).

Open Space zonings

Different types of open space fulfil different functions. Certain open spaces have particular importance as nature, cultural heritage or environmental areas and a separate zoning facilitates the management of these areas. This zoning provision is made for the development of amenities to meet the needs of tourists and visitors. Other open spaces have a more active role in addressing the sporting and recreation needs of the community.
Public open space has an important status because of its contribution to the recreation needs of the general public, and the difficulty of replacing public open space once lost. The development management scheme also recognises special areas of open space that are not designated as public open space, but may be privately owned.

Agricultural, Rural and Limited Use zonings

Agricultural land should generally be protected from developments that render the land less suitable for agriculture, or detract from its aesthetic and cultural value. Aside from sustaining a valuable economic sector, agricultural land can help to promote stability of the urban edge, conserve naturally sensitive areas and maintain rural characteristics which are valued by the community. Unnecessary subdivision of farms should be avoided and economically viable units must be maintained.
Agricultural activities should not be subject to unreasonable limitations because the economic viability of the agricultural sector is important. Complementary activities to conventional agriculture can assist with the viability of the sector, and to this end, compatible uses are permitted as consent uses, provided the latter do not detract from agriculture as the main farming activity.
Where non-agricultural uses are permitted, such uses should form an integral part of the agricultural undertaking. A distinction is made between large farms which are zoned AG and smallholdings zoned as RU zoning, which can accommodate a range of peri-urban activities. A transitional mechanism, the LU zoning, deals with land that was zoned as undetermined in previous zoning schemes, and limits development to existing lawful uses only.


The Municipal Planning By-Law has been amended to include secondary dwellings, veterinary practices, filming, recycling centres and renewable energy structures as additional uses under certain categories as either primary, additional or consent.